Calypsonian Tamika Darius shut down the entire Calypso Fies­ta programme for a full 30 minutes, in protest of a timing clock dis­crepancy at yesterday’s National Calypso Monarch semi-­final at Guaracara Park, Pointe-a-Pierre.

Darius refused to take the stage unless the Trinbago Unified Calypsonians’ Organisation (Tuco) officials reset the clock and allow her to restart her performance, leaving host Godfrey Pierre, the band and the entire audience bewildered.

A defiant Darius, arms folded, stood backstage as officials scam­pered for a solution.

She told the Express she observed the digital clock, positioned on stage to time performances, had reached a full two minutes before her actors began the skit for her 2020 offering, “Long Before Jouvert”.

All 40 competitors at yesterday’s semi-final were allowed eight minutes on stage.

“I was thinking what happened here, why the time running? The time started when nothing was on stage. They made it clear that time starts when you start to sing, the band starts or your supporting cast starts talking. None of that was happening.

“We didn’t even get the four microphones that we requested for the four supporting cast when the clock started,” she said.

Darius however said she was determined not to allow the clock problem to affect her performance.

“I always expect little hiccups when you got to perform. It didn’t really affect me. I’m happy and confident in my performance. Was it fair in the end? I hope so,” she said.

More Technical issues

Helon Francis, meanwhile, also suffered through some off-putting technical difficulties during his per­formance of his title contender, “Feel Like We”.

Performing in third position, the former national calypso monarch (2018) had several instances of screeching feedback on his microphone that made it hard to follow his lyrics.

Despite his efforts to counter the high-pitched noises by stepping back from the monitors and holding the mic further away from his mouth, they continued.

He finished the performance with little fuss and didn’t complain or blame the show’s audio technicians when he spoke with the Express afterwards.

“Yeah, I had a lot of issues with the stage,” a relaxed Francis said after his performance.

“In moments like that, that’s where the experience does come in. When you experience enough of that, you realise how to deal with it and not let it take away from the performance. You know where your focus should be, and I felt like I did what I was supposed to do and that was what was most important to me,” he said.

The original article can be found here

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site.

EU Cookie Directive Module Information